An overtime powerplay strike from Bobby Chamberlain secured a weekend challenge match double success for Milton Keynes Lightning at Peterborough Phantoms on Sunday.

There would have much to delight MK coach Lewis Clifford with goals being scored across the lines, while the team, with many new faces, showed tenacity to hang on and take the win after Phantoms fought back to level in the third session.

Lightning looked to be coasting to an easy win early in the game as Phantoms were made to pay twice within the first six minutes. First some poor play by the hosts allowed Chamberlain to feed Callum Field who scored at the second attempt – his very first MK Lightning goal – on 3mins 25secs as goalie Jordan Marr blocked but failed hold his first effort.

Less than two minutes later Edgars Landsbergs supplied Hallden Barnes-Garner who went top shelf for the visitors’ second goal at 5mins 4secs.

Tom Norton and Jasper Foster both tested MK netminder Matt Smital but to no avail with MK taking the first period 2-0. That score remained for only 4mins 53secs of the second session when Ed Knaggs and Sean Norris contributed to goal number three – coming from Sam Talbot.

Phantoms were rocking at this stage and they desperately needed a goal to get back in the game. They got it when Chamberlain was called for interference on Ales Padelek. Suitably it was Padelek who registered on the powerplay at 32mins 49secs.

Smital’s attempt to save the shot saw him injured in the process with Brandon Stones being brought on to replace him.

MK were handed a man advantage in the final two minutes of the middle period after Morgan Clarke-Pizzo was sent to the sin bin for tripping. However it was the home side who scored short-handed on 38mins 34secs through former MK junior Glenn Billing, aided by Padelek. 

There was a quick response from the travellers with Russ Cowley the provider for Chamberlain make it 4-2 50 seconds before the break.

The third period saw Peterborough step up their game to once again cut the gap to one through Billing on 44mins 53secs after a scramble in front of the net.

Just under three minutes later at 47mins 35secs Phantoms drew level thanks to Duncan Speirs whose blast from the right wing went top shelf, giving Stones no chance.

Once more Lightning showed true grit with a quick reply at 48mins 10secs thanks to Talbot to make it 5-4. However it was Phantoms who had the final goal of regulation time – another former MK player, Luc Johnson, squaring things up on 56mins 10secs.

With neither side finding the decisive goal in the ensuing 3mins 50secs, overtime was called for . It was a hooking penalty on Clarke-Pizzo that gave MK their chance to seal the 6-5 win through Chamberlain, combining with Laishram, at 63mins 55secs.