A second half recovery from going four goals behind was not enough to turn the game around as Milton Keynes Lightning went down 7-4 at Telford Tigers on Sunday.

Tigers fired in three goals in the opening 11 minutes or so to leave Lightning with a mountain to climb. And it was not until the 32nd minute that Sam Talbot was able to cut what was by then a four goal deficit – only for the experienced Jason Silverthorn to restore the hosts’ margin almost straight from face-off.

Nick Oliver was handed a two minute penalty for tripping plus a further 10 minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct with just 1min 19secs gone. However, that did not stop Tigers from opening their account with a short handed marker from Silverthorn, aided by veteran Rick Plant on 1min 52secs.

Jack Hopkins made the supply when Joe Aston added to the tally after 3mins 57secs before another powerplay for Tigers proved costly for MK – Bobby Chamberlain given two minutes in the sin bin for holding and another two for roughing. This time Scott McKenzie was the provider for Plant at 11mins 13secs.

Any hopes that Lightning could quickly get their game back on track at the start of the second session were dealt a big blow within the first minute with an Andy McKinney goal at 20mins 58secs.

There was at last some joy for Lightning on 32min 20secs with Talbot, assisted by Sean Norris and Bobby Chamberlain, bagging the opener for the visitors – Silverthorn quickly replying at 32minds 58secs.

There was little joy for MK in the third session with both James Griffin and Zaine McKenzie both being consigned to the penalty box in separate boarding incidents – the latter resulting in Tigers’ sixth strike through McKenzie on 48mins 13secs.

Russ Cowley set up Adam Laishram for the travellers’ second goal on 51mins 15secs but once more netminder Matthew Smital was swiftly picking the puck out of the goal thanks to a second goal from Aston just 20 seconds later.

Two late goals from Liam Stewart on 57mins 56secs and Chamberlain exactly a minute later gave some respectability to the score at 7-4 but ultimately it was a disappointing result.

Man of the match: Sam Talbot.