Leeds Knights inflicted a second defeat of the weekend for Milton Keynes Lightning at Elland Road on Sunday. But unlike the first meeting between the teams there was little doubt about the result once the home team had taken a 5-2 lead by the 35th minute.

Knights then went on to add three more third period goals to finish with an 8-2 victory that dents Lightning’s hopes of winning the National Ice Hockey League.

The home side went in front on 6mins 53secs with a powerplay goal from Kieran Brown – his rocket from the face off point beating goalie Matt Smital. The man advantage was the result of the two plus two minutes handed to Tim Wallace for cross-checking and roughing in a clash with Jordan Fisher.

Knights’ Ross Kennedy and Lightning’s Mikey Power then engaged in a bout of fisticuffs – Power quickly downed – with both players sent to the penalty boxes for five minutes before the visitors were on the wrong end of a three on one as they failed to clamp down on Brown for goal number two.

Man of the match Callum Field was supplier for Hallden Barnes Garner to reduce the arrears on 22mins 30secs but Adam Barnes restored the two goal advantage after Brown beat his marker on 29mins 20secs.

An unassisted Cole Shudra goal with a rocket from the point put Knights in control at 32mins 11secs ahead of a hooking call for Ben Russell, putting MK on the penalty kill. Despite that, Sam Talbot was able to get on the end of a long pass from James Griffin, to score short handed at 33mins 33secs.

It was the last goal of the night for Lightning who soon conceded again when Barnes scored his second goal at 35mins 21secs to give Knights a 5-2 lead at the second break.

Worse was to come in the third session as Archie Hazeldine’s shot rebounded off goal Matt Smital for Matty Davies to pounce and score at 45mins 49secs for the sixth strike.

Less than three minutes later Smital was picking the puck out of the goal again after Harry Gulliver shot through his legs on 49mins 37secs. It was Smital’s last action as he was replaced between the pipes by Brandon Stones.

Gulliver went on to register his second marker at 54mins 27secs when he shot from behind the goal line with the puck taking a deflection off Stones’ skate to make it 8-2.

Man of the match: Callum Field.